Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ponderous Walks Down a Quiet County Road



I have a fairly specific route that I walk, almost daily. From the house, to the freeway entrance and back. Three miles total. Nothing spectacular, but enough to clear the mind, step away from the schoolwork for an hour, and think. Or not.

Sometimes my walks allow for my brain to wander, almost aimlessly, and think about all of the good, bad and ugly things in the world, in life. Other times, I walk staring at the ground or straight ahead, without a thought in the world. I just walk, almost machine-like.

Sometimes it is refreshing to think about nothing at all.

My walks can be extremely monotonous, slightly humorous, or amazingly entertaining. Around here, it just depends on the day. Should one of the neighbors drive by, an odd conversation will generally ensue. Remember, I am that enigmatic being from the big city who travels on aeroplanes and has no kids. I actually even dare to leave the state. It's weird.

Yesterday I got into one of these conversations. Don't get me wrong, everyone around me is quite friendly. They always stop to talk, or at least say hi, no matter what. And I can always walk away with some great quotes, interesting new ideas, and questions about their 'enigmatic' existence. I am weird to them, so they must be weird to me. At least a little. It's a two-way street, in all fairness.

It is rare that my walks are not pleasant and enjoyable. It's a time for me to breathe in some (fairly) fresh air, walk at my own pace and laugh at nothing if I feel the need. A time to feel completely free of the burdens of...everything.

A walk can cleanse the soul; Free the mind; Refresh the body.

It's an amazing tool; A harmless medicine. Have you taken yours today?

No comments:

Post a Comment