Sunday, September 6, 2009

Betrayal

I did it. I succumbed to the pressure of my peers. I gave in...and betrayed myself.
I joined Facebook.
This was something I had sworn, up and down, that I would never do. And for me to give in and listen to what others think I should do....well, I'm just annoyed.
With myself.
It's just so creepy to me. I've already had people come out of the woodwork to add me as a friend. People who, had they really wanted to be my 'friend', could have just called me up and said hi. Why the sudden rush to know all about me?
"It isn't creepy," my sister insisted. "People can only find you if you want them to."
Then how have all of these people hunted me down??? And so quickly? I had barely even hit the 'submit' button and already the swarms were filling my inbox with friend requests and 'pillow fights'. It's just so weird.
Sorry if I offend anyone. I guess the overall concept makes perfect sense: reconnect with friends from the past, keep up with current buddies, and allow for your family to see what you are up to. But what about the rest of the garbage? The endless games that people play...where do they find the time? Sending me strange requests to 'hit back' in the virtual pillow fight. Huh?
I'm just so lost.
And not willing to put too much time and energy into it, apparently.
But the efforts of my sister and Alaska co-workers obviously paid off...'cause you can now be my friend, too. Just don't throw me any punches or ask me to join some strange cyber-game. It ain't gonna happen.
Of course, that is what I said about Facebook in the first place. Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment