Saturday, September 5, 2009

Memories of a Summer Past

I was reluctant to accept my position with Kanuti this summer. Not because I don't enjoy the Brooks Range and all that Alaska's arctic has to offer, but because it would mark my third summer as an unpaid intern. I don't mind volunteering; in fact I greatly enjoy it. Working for free allows one to forget about the true stresses of 'work'. Yes, I was responsible for showing up on time, completing projects, assisting visitors and doing the best job possible, but at the end of the day I could leave free of any added responsibilities. As a volunteer I was expected, encouraged really, to go out and explore. So I did.

Although this summer was certainly not my best, I am happy to say that I can look back at all of the great things that came of it and be content. I not only learned a lot and saw a lot, but also engaged in friendships that I hope will last for many years to come. I can always count on meeting truly good people in Coldfoot. In fact, as I expressed to my supervisor last summer, Alaska is really the only place I have ever felt like I fit in, like I belong. Everywhere else I just feel lost, like an outsider. It's not the best of feelings.

In an effort to celebrate the summer of 2009, I have decided to showcase some pictures of the happenings throughout the short season. I hope that you, too, can appreciate the immense beauty and opportunity that is unique region has to offer.

Crossing the arctic circle with Adam in May. It's a huge deal to a lot of people!

The whole crew up at Deadhorse.


Me standing on the still frozen arctic ocean.


A sow grizzly. You can identify a grizzly by the obvious hump on the shoulders.



Sukakpak Mountain. A hot spot for day hikers.

The mighty Yukon River.


In June I dropped some friends off to begin a float of the Chandalar River. Not surprisingly, I ended up wandering off and discovering this odd, but beautiful, flower.


On the same trip I spotted this very blond grizzly.



A day at the arctic circle handing out certificates, pronouncing those who braved the road "official".



The north side of Sukakpak Mountain, immersed in fog.



Some friends and I watched this red fox as he searched and dug for voles. Finally, POUNCE.



Alyssa, another SCA intern, and I at Atigun Pass. It was colder than it looks!


Damselfly
Seth, Alyssa, myself and Jeff took a drive to Prudhoe Bay, and back, in one day. That's well over 500 miles of fairly rough road. While waiting for construction, I asked if we could 'borrow' the sign. We clearly put it to good use.



Jeff and I with 'the camel'. From the road it was deemed everything from llama to elk. Alyssa swore that it moved. Upon closer inspection, we were all way off.



A day at the arctic circle with Lonnie, our campground host. What a 'bullshit talkin' trucker'!


Steffanie and I spent two nights at Galbraith Lake, partaking in glorious day hikes. The mosquitoes were the worst either of us had ever experienced.


We got creative on a hilltop. Silhouettes resulted....


Jumping was a favorite passtime of Steffanie and mine.



Our 'hikes' were quite leisurly. But amazingly enjoyable. The way it should be.



Mid-July brought Kanuti's annual Henshaw Creek Science Camp. The elders and students had just finished making this paddle by hand.


Me and some of the kids, all from the bush village of Allakaket.



In August I was lucky enough to participate in a patrol on the Noatak River with the Park Service. It was, by leaps and bounds, the highlight of my summer. Ranger Ken and I.


A lone wolf crosses the river.

As do migrating caribou.


A drive to Galbraith Lake in August (100 miles north of Coldfoot) allowed for this beautiful view of Atigun Pass. This was perhaps the most stunning I had ever seen it.



By mid-August autumn has arrived. Due to the high latitude, seasons are very stunted. Except winter, that is.


On September 1st I drove down to Fairbanks for the first time since early June....and the last time for this season. The colors were spectacular.


The Dalton Highway is 414 miles of dirt, gravel and some pothole-ridden pavement. Not for the weary, this road will take you into some of the most spectacular wilderness areas left in the United States. In my opinion, perhaps the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Additionally, it is the only road in the country that will take you to the arctic ocean...or almost. Due to security reasons, the final 10 miles or so are inaccessible unless on a tour. If you have never stepped foot in this waterbody, I highly suggest spending the money to do so.



1 comment: