Friday, September 11, 2009

A Closer Look at Texas

"I'm sorry" is a pretty common response to my telling others that I currently reside in Texas. Texans are seen as arrogant, destructive and, well, dumb. I won't share my opinions as to whether I agree or disagree with these 'descriptions', but getting used to life here has been...different. Here, in west Texas, I am seen as somewhat of an enigmatic figure. I am nearly 30 and unwed with no kids. Huh??? How dare I?
I am just so weird.
It's been an interesting experience.
Texas is also well-known, especially more recently, for its radical political views and horrible environmental ethics. It's one of the (if not THE) dirtiest states in the union. Air quality in both Dallas and Houston, for example, is well below EPA standards and coal plants are continually popping up in various locations.
They do say that everything is bigger in Texas.
While Texas is a dwarf in comparison to my beloved Alaska, it is still a huge state. I've seen a bit of it, mostly in the western regions, but have yet to make my way across from one tip of the Lone Star to the other. Some relatively recent trips to Big Bend and the Del Rio area have warranted several photos that allow for a closer view of Texas minus the pollution, the threats, and the urban sprawl.
This closer look at the natural wonders of the state have made my appreciation grow, especially in the desert regions. Everything that lives out here is spiky. Really. Not something you want to contend with. From the plethora of cactus species to the notorious western diamondback rattlesnake, a 'hike' out in these parts is no 'walk in the park'. You had better be wearing pants and watching your feet all the time. Yeah--there are quite a few snakes (but I'll get into that later).
I firmly believe in 'stopping to smell the roses'. We should all make time in our everyday lives to look deeper into the natural world around us; to explore the most minute of living things. Why not take a closer look at that rock, that plant or that peculiar cloud? Why must we always be in such a rush?
Getting sick at a young age has taught me more than I need to know about life. This discussion I will save for another post, but life is far too short to blast through. If something interests me, I stop to look at it. My walking pace has slowed considerably in more recent years---yes, because it is getting harder to partake in my favorite activity, but also because I want to enjoy every second of it. What is the point of taking a hike, let's say, if you are going to rush down the trail?
I try to make sure that I always make time...
Enjoy.














No comments:

Post a Comment