Sunday, November 15, 2009

Climbing the Hill...

Yep, it's official. I am in my fourth decade of life. Wow.

Yikes.

Neat.

Geesh.

True to my nature, I don't really care. Birthday's are okay, I guess, but it is just another day to me.

Everyone anticipates a mental breakdown on the big 3-0. Women especially.

But since I have zero desire for children, my biological clock can keep ticking.

And since I don't have much desire to be married anytime soon, well...

I'll just carry on as if nothing has changed.

I shouldn't be too upset. Last night as my parents carried on a conversation about me as though I wasn't sitting in the same room, my father mentioned that, "she could pass for 20, you know."

Hmmm...can't feel too shabby about a comment as such. I know I look young for my age, but a decade younger??? Okay with me. No arguments here.

I am also only 3 classes (less the two I am finishing up currently) from receiving my first Master's degree. I wanted to have such a degree by the time I was 30....mission accomplished (almost).

I have travelled to many far-off, exotic locales around the world, seen a good majority of the United States and participated in some pretty cool stuff in the past three decades.

I have also experienced some crazy stuff and learned lessons that are priceless. All of these experiences only add to who I currently am and who I will be in the future.

So why the big deal about turning 30? Most people I talk to say their 30's were the best years of their lives. It's when many people meet and fall in love; when good jobs are finally found and ample income earned; when we finally start to feel confident about who we are, stop caring about what others think, and take pride in what we represent and believe in.

I have spent a good majority of my life caring about what others think. I worry about my appearance, my body, my opinions, my clothes. Am I pretty enough, skinny enough, talkative enough? Do they think I am weird, or do they like me? And on and on. It's ridiculous and time consuming.

Who cares?

So, to my 30's: I hope you are filled with great memories and ample happiness. I hope you bring me smiles and joy, continued adventures and more friends. May I remain healthy and vibrant, carefree and caring.

And...well...

How about an unanticipated, large sum of money???

Kidding.

Sort-of.

No comments:

Post a Comment