Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winds of Change


"The Wind Energy Capital of the World" boasts a billboard to the east of Sweetwater. It speaks of Nolan County, Texas, home to thousands upon thousands of these gentle giants; wind turbines.
I look at them and get inspired. Relaxed. Happy. I'm not fibbing when I say that I could sit and watch them all day and be perfectly content. They represent, to me, the future of American--and hopefully world--energy. They resemble a hope that, in the end, cleaner sources of electricity will conquer...and win.
Despite the fact that I can look out various windows in my home and see these monstrosities daily, they never cease to amaze me. Lining the horizon or filling entire fields, they command attention...yet stand there in a sort of shy stance. They want to be seen, heard, understood...yet prefer to be left alone to do what they do best.
With my current 'job' duties, I am required to drive hundreds of miles through three counties in the immediate area. Daily I wander through the masses of turbines, watching as their delicate blades turn in the west Texas breeze. I can't help but smile.
As I continue fighting against Ole' King Coal, I must think to the winds; the winds of change. There is still hope--although it seems quite little at some times--that our future will be a cleaner one; That renewable energy will prevail.
At least it gives me something to look forward to; something to keep fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment