Saturday, April 24, 2010

Throwing Punches

Ahhh....the sweet smell of spring is in the air; the flowers are in bloom; the skies a radiant blue; and the days are growing longer and longer.

What's not to enjoy?


Tenasty.


With our contested case hearing growing nearer and said corporation still pushing to make their new home one mile from our home, well...


so much for the joys of spring.


Everything seems to be moving in fast-forward mode. The newspaper articles, both pro and con, are constant. The EDF, who I endorsed and represented in our preliminary trial, turned on me--well, us--and is now in support of the coal plant. The local television station was at the house on earth day and our non-profit group was denied representation at the local 'green' festival. The mayor was worried that we would make him look stupid.


Hmm. You do that just fine yourself, without our presence, sir.


Back and forth conversations between myself and EDF lawyers have been ongoing; they know I am extremely angry. Why shouldn't I be? They turned on me. Whether it is their 'strategy' or not, I feel betrayed.


And, in the midst of all my anger, I started a Facebook page. It's an attempt--hopefully successful--to make this fight statewide...maybe nationwide.


You never know. I could start a movement. :)
Fighting such a fight is very demanding; it's draining. I can easily see how these companies win out in the end. They wear their opponents down...to a point of exhaustion and fear.
In town yesterday I was constantly watching my back. Really. I feel as though I am being watched; that at any moment someone could hurt me...or at least threaten to.
But, for the moment, I am in it for the long haul. It's discouraging and it's scary. But reassuring words from one of our Austin proponents convinced me that it isn't the Sierra Clubs or the EDFs that win these fights. It is the regular, everyday citizen.
And perhaps, someday, the work I am putting into this cause will prevent another individual from going through the same heartache.
Hopefully I am making a difference for the future of America.

1 comment: