Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Sun Chips Bag

Maybe you've seen it, maybe not. But the newest Sun Chips bag claims to be 100% compostable. Not that I am suggesting that the Sun Chips people lie, but, being who I am...well, I want to test it for myself.



A look at the back of the bag suggests that, in about 13 weeks, there will be a complete "breakdown into compost." Now, it also mentions that this will occur in "a hot, active home or industrial compost pile."

Since I have neither readily accessible, I decided to just 'plant' the bag in my garden, vow to water it daily and added an additional 3 weeks onto the decomposition time (for a total of 16 weeks).

Will it work? Who knows. If it doesn't I will place no blame on the Sun Chips company, but rather on my lack of a proper compost area.
I'll update on or about August 15, when my 16 weeks are up. It certainly will be interesting to see what transpires!

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. We have a SunChips bag here. Let me know if I can just throw it out in the woods. ;)

    ReplyDelete