Saturday, March 6, 2010

Enjoy the View...


"Enjoy the view; the bright sun; the blue sky," states my father from time to time referring, of course, to the possibility of us losing our wide-open, seemingly endless horizons, huge skies and bright sunny days to....a dirty coal plant.
I can't say that I consider west Texas to be within the top ten most gorgeous places I have ever witnessed, but every location has its own unique beauty, its own character. Here, it is the sky and the sheer size of it all. At night, once the sun has dropped beneath the horizon amidst a range of nearly blinding hues, the endless number of stars emerge to a deafening silence. On occasion an owl will hoot or coyotes sing, but its just...so...quiet. One cannot help but stand outside underneath the Big Dipper and the North Star...and just stare. Or to peer into the darkness at what may be...and wonder. Daylight emerges with a powerful sunrise, one that soon beckons in perhaps the brightest of blue skies I have seen. Birds chirp and play, butterflies work endlessly and the signature west Texas wind blows the otherwise daunting mesquite trees around with its mighty power.
It's peaceful. It's natural. It's home.
I learned many years ago that, in the blink of an eye, what one has may be taken away. I was a healthy, outgoing and energetic being. One moment in time changed all of that. Forever.
I learned quickly, yet too slowly, that one's life must be enjoyed. We must strive to do all that we desire. We must make the most of each day. Laugh. Smile. Learn. Travel.
Whatever it is that makes us feel 100% alive, we must do it.
It took me some time to figure out this lesson that, clearly, should be basic, common sense. But our society 'trains' us to strive for those objects that are of material value. We are 'taught' that money matters, that fame is desirable and that beauty will make one successful.
And success. Ha. What makes one individual more successful than the next? Society will measure success based upon money, cars, homes and clothes. But what about happiness? Experiences that others cannot take away? Seeing the world? DOING WHAT ONE WANTS???
I have, for far too many years, compared myself to those around me. To this day I find myself continually participating in said activity. Why?
Why should I be bothered wasting my time wondering or caring about what someone else thinks?
Life comes and goes...so fast. Time seems to fly by, faster and faster with each passing day. Events that seemingly occurred just a few short years ago....well, they were, in some instances, decades ago.
Before we know it, we are....old. Bones creak and muscles ache. Eyes and ears aren't so sharp, the memory is getting shorter and shorter. The 'good old days' are far behind and the days of 'reality' upon us.
Despite the anger I hold within for the Doctor that basically ruined me....
I also have to commend him for opening my eyes; for making me realize that life is too short, that time passes too quickly, to fail to enjoy the view.

1 comment:

  1. Be strong! And then come out here and visit the sled doggies with me. ;)

    ReplyDelete