Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Egypt

Never did I expect to end up in Egypt, of all places, this past January. But thanks to my keen eye for travel deals, I was granted the opportunity to 'walk like an Egyptian' into the Land of the Pharoahs and experience for myself the mystery that surrounds this ancient land.

I cannot rave enough about this trip. Other than the 'Pharoah's Curse' that struck me on the trip home, cruising down the Nile with stops in Aswan, Edfu and Luxor was absolutely amazing. Despite the average American's fear of travel to the Middle East, I have yet to feel any danger in the region.

Following are a few pictures representing highlights of the trip. I encourage anyone with the opportunity and the desire to go wherever you can, whenever you can. You won't regret it.




The scenery along the Nile was amazingly relaxing and beautiful. Our cruise mixed the perfect blend of rest and exploration. Here, a faluka sails near sunset.


The Temple of Edfu. I was awestruck by this attraction, but they seemed to get more and more extravagant and unimaginable as the trip went on.


The Statues of Memnon. We took a small boat to the West Bank of the Nile one morning to explore several sights. The size and work involved is flabergasting.



The West Bank of the Nile also presented us with the Temple of Hatsheput. Built into the side of a mountain, the temple overlooks the Nile River Valley. Much of the artwork within the confines of the site was still colored with original paints. Gorgeous.



The Temple of Luxor by night. Perhaps my favorite temple of all. Walking through the columns and pillars makes one feel...royal. The second obelisk is in Paris.



The Temple of Luxor by day. A fellow traveler and I decided to return the following morning. I had to walk like an Egyptian within the presence of the mini-sphinxes.





Horse-drawn carriages are a great way of travel through Luxor. For roughly $2 you can go about anywhere.




The Temple of Karnak. About 1.8 miles from Luxor, the two temples are 'connected' by the road of sphinxes pictured earlier (with me walking). These rams really struck me.





The Temple of Kom Ombo. We hit this temple just before sunset, resulting in some beautiful colors and shadows.




Early one morning I took a flight out to Abu Simbel to see the site shown above. Before the Nile was dammed and Lake Nasr formed, sites such as this were literally cut into pieces and moved to higher ground by the government. Quite a feat in itself.






Riding my camel at the pyramids. I had to do it.




The three pyramids of Giza. I waited 30 years to see these in person. Honestly, now that I am home....it still hasn't sunk in that I actually saw them in person.




One cannot walk up to and touch the Sphinx. Perhaps because it is being rebuilt...?
The only unfortunate reality about the pyramid visit was the development.....it is a commercial hotspot.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a great trip! I'm just jealous of the sunny skies. ;) Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete