Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Census 2010: Count Me Out

It's official. Two months with the Census and I am finally free. I thought this day would never arrive.
About a year ago I decided to take the Census employment test for fun; I wanted to see what score I could get. When I aced it I was pleased enough, never expecting to actually get 'the call'.
Perhaps by a stroke of luck I was busy the first time they called. I suggested they call me back in September, once again never expecting them to actually do it. But they did, in October.
I started my 'job' as a recruiting assistant in mid-November. I must say, it was the dumbest task I have been given in recent years. Two months later, I am still not sure what they ever really wanted me to do, I'm still waiting for them to give me contact information that was promised, and I have yet to be told I ever did a good job.
If nothing else, the stories are unique. I have met some real characters and explored the entirety of three Texas counties. I earned enough to pay for this semester's tuition and survived the mass of confusion that comes with being a government employee.
Barely, that is. I barely survived.
I participated in my first ever radio interview back in November and got to chat it up with some interesting folks over the last few months. Most importantly, though, I learned of my royal descent.
Priceless information.
Now the bets are on as to whether I will be called again for more work in a few weeks or months. With my luck, I will.
I just don't think I could do it again...
There are those of us who can work for the government and those of us who cannot. I fall in the latter category. They about drove me insane.
But now I'm free....and what a beautiful feeling it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment