Monday, April 4, 2011

I Always Wanted to be an Olympic Star

Just the other day I received this 'award' in the mail, along with an official letter from the 'Olympic Committee'. Unbeknownst to me, I had received the 2011 'Graceful High Jumping Award'. It's very prestigious and sought after, you know. Conveniently, I finished reading Randy Pausch's 'The Last Lecture' just today. In this great work, Randy discusses the childhood dreams he had...and fulfilling them at various stages in his life.... Not necessarily under the circumstances he had expected, but they were fulfilled nonetheless. Growing up in northern New Hampshire I was always outside. And chances were great that I was outside either riding my bike or running. About 1/4 - 1/2 a mile from our little farm house was a spring fed pond that my dad had had dug for us. We spent ample time in the summer swimming and ample time in the winter ice skating on this natural wonder. The water was crystal clear and could be ingested without a worry. Our pet geese enjoyed it, we enjoyed it, passing wildlife enjoyed it. I enjoyed running to it. Whenever the chance arose, I challenged someone, anyone, to race me to the pond. Most times it was my dad, who would quickly wimp out, leaving me to run solo. On occasion a school friend would be given the challenge, often with the same results. Truth is, I could run. And I always wanted to be an Olympic runner. In highschool I was recognized by my P.E. teacher as one of the quickest runners in class. By that point, however, I had all but given up on my Olympic dreams. I'd have to rest satisfied with the childhood memories and the hand-written paper award my teacher handed me that day. But then 2011 came around and I took that, apparently now infamous, leap at Enchanted Rock in central Texas. The path to my childhood dream was re-opened. I didn't know it, but it was. And although my 'award' isn't for running, I am an 'Olympic Star' either way. And, anyway, I had to gear up for that leap with a bit of a running start. [Many thanks to 'Jeff G.' for granting me this award. You truly are too kind.]

No comments:

Post a Comment